Instagram doesn't feature text to speech functionality at this moment. The only way to add text to speech for Instagram reels is to create the video with a text-to-speech voiceover manually.
Users can add captions to their videos using tools like Descript AI, Adobe Premier, Speechify. Most text to speech tools can do the job, but the challenge is to have the caption show up at the appropriate part of the video.
Steps To Add TTS Voiceover For Instagram Reels
- Use a third-party app like Descript or Murf to generate the speech from the text you want to include in your reel.
- Create your video based on the the speech audio generated in step 1, and any other B roll footage to include. (We highly recommend using Descript's storyboard to insert footage to the exact spot based on the text script instead of the timeline editor)
- Export the video
- Open the Instagram app and go to the Reels section.
- Upload the video you just exported
Tips To Follow When Editing
It's highly recommended to create a good voiceover script first. Once the audio is in place, the video edits will be much easier to match the voiceover.
If you do it the other way around, sometimes the story you want to convey maybe off.
Here are few other things to keep in mind when adding text to speech to IG reels:
- Keep the Instagram video concise. Less than 60 secs
- Create a voiceover script that tells a story, and put attention grabbing keywords within the first 3 seconds of the reel
- Avoid using passive voice or overly complex language
- Add some music, but not too distracting
- Re-run your script by either reading it aloud or having someone else read it. Catch any awkward phrasing if you can
Simply copy your original script in the prompt and ask the AI to add additional info, fix grammar error, or rewrite it better.